Front Row, left to right: Jamie Cullor, Stephanie Nadig, Danielle Hinshaw, Rebecca Alexander Back Row, left to right: Charlie Elliott, Nicole Simler, Andrea Willing, Drew Groezinger
FREEPORT — Highland Community College Agriculture students recently participated in the National Postsecondary Agriculture Students (PAS) annual conference March 13-16 at the St. Charles Convention Center in St. Charles, Missouri.
Eight students qualified to compete during the conference by placing at the two state-level contests held earlier in the year. PAS is a national student organization that provides opportunities for college agriculture students to experience individual growth, leadership, and career preparation through competition and cooperative activities.
The following Highland Agriculture students competed at the national conference:
· Landscaping and Nursery Specialist Team of Danielle Hinshaw (Byron) and Drew Groezinger (Stockton) captured third place. Individually Drew Groezinger earned fourth place, and Danielle Hinshaw finished in sixth place.
· Dairy Specialist Team consisting of Charlie Elliott (Freeport), Nicole Simler (Freeport), and Andrea Willing (Rock City) captured fifth-place out of a competitive field of 23 teams. The team placed second in the presentation and case study portions of the contest. Individually Charlie Elliott finished in fourth place, Andrea Willing took 12th place, and Nicole Simler was in 13th place.
· Drew Groezinger (Stockton) took third place in Floriculture Employment Interview.
· Rebecca Alexander (Lanark) captured a fifth place in the Career Planning-Agriculture Education and finished in eighth place in the Agriculture Education Employment Interview.
· Jamie Cullor (Freeport) took eighth place in Landscaping and Nursery Employment Interview.
· Andrea Willing (Rock City) captured eighth place in Dairy Production Employment Interview.
· Danielle Hinshaw (Byron) finished 10th place in Career Planning-Ruminant Animal Systems.
· Stephanie Nadig (Stockton) earned 10th place in Livestock Production Employment Interview.
The Highland Agriculture Department would like to thank the State Bank, Freeport for sponsoring the Highland AG Club for the participation in PAS activities. HCC Agriculture would also like to thank all of the area high school agriculture programs and instructors that help inspire our students to pursue their passion for agriculture.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the HCC PAS organization, please contact Justin Ebert, Agriculture Instructor at email@example.com