At their Regular May meeting, the Eastland School Board voted to publish notice of their intent to amend the 2016-17 school year budget. Since no visitors addressed the Board, the public budget hearing was adjourned. During the regular meeting, the Board approved and adopted the amended budget for 2016-17.
The amended budget makes adjustments to line items in the Education Fund and the Transportation Fund where expenditures exceeded 5 percent of projected totals.
Superintendent Mark Hansen said that other line items will finish under projections so that, in aggregate, expenditures in the two funds will come in under those projected for 2016-17.
The Board also approved the Governmental Accounting Standards Board’s annual resolution stating that fund balanced in the District’s operating funds cannot be committed without formal Board action.
Hansen presented a proposal for holding a “State of the Schools” event during the fall semester of 2017-18.
“The purpose of the event would be to provide parents and the public an opportunity to learn about District initiatives, progress and challenges,” Hansen said.
He said the idea came from a superintendents’ working group on which he participates. The Board expressed interest and asked that a more detailed proposal and plan be presented at the regular July meeting.
Hansen presented proposed revisions to the 2017-18 school year calendar.
“The revisions are designed to balance assessment periods within the school year, to improve efficiency, to standardize instructional intervals, and to provide teachers, parents and students with periodic feedback on each student’s progress toward mastering grade level standards,” he said.
Hansen plans to meet with the Calendar Committee to solicit feedback prior to the July Board meeting at which any revisions will be formally approved.
In other Board action:
– The Board Facilities Committee tentatively scheduled their next meeting for5:30 p.m. on Monday, July 10. The Finance Committee will meet as needed.
– School registration will be held from 12 noon to 7 p.m. on Thursday, July 20.
– The Board approved awarding the fuel bid for 2017-18 to Carroll Service Company. They also approved the 2017-18 Parent-Student Handbook.
– The Board approved renewal of property, casualty and liability insurance with Selective Insurance effective July 1. The total renewal was for $50,814, a 2.8 percent increase over the previous year.
Upon exiting a closed session and returning to regular session, the Board:
– Approved the hire of Brooke Cheser as a self-contained 2nd Grade teacher for the 2017-18 school year;
– Approved and accepted the resignation of Dillion Eich as Business/Computers teacher at Eastland Jr/Sr High School effective immediately;
– Approved continuing to post vacancies for a Gr. 7-12 Special Education teacher and a Gr. 7-12 Business/Computers teacher for the 2017-18 school year.
They also approved the following personnel actions:
– Approved the hire of Jim Pierce as freshman volleyball coach for the 2017-18 school year; Keali Eich as 7th Grade Volleyball Coach for the 2017 season; Craig Heckman as 8th grade boys basketball coach for the 2017 season; and Tyler Zumdahl as Assistant High School Baseball Coach.
– Approved assigning / hiring 9th Class Sponsor Ben Randecker and 11th Grade Class Sponsor Kim Haverland.
– Approved renewal of spring differential assignments for 2017-18. HS Head Varsity Baseball Coach Weston Burkholder, HS Head Varsity Softball Coach Keali Eich, Jr. High Boys’ Track Coach Tony Dunlap, II, and Jr. High Girls’ Track Coach Ashley Dunlap.
– Approved and accepted the resignation of Keali Eich as 8th Grade Girls’ Basketball Coach for the 2018 season.
– Approved posting, or continuing to post, differential vacancies for Assistant Play Director, Asst. HS Softball Coach and Jr. High Girls’ Basketball Coach.
– Approved the reassignment of Amy Dobish from Eastland Elementary to Eastland Jr/Sr High Head Cook for the 2017-18 school year.
– Approved posting a vacancy for for Head Cook at Eastland Elementary for the 2017-18 school year.